[PA-NJ Glassblowers] Viva La System 96!
gaffer at glassblower.info
Sun May 22 15:59:48 EDT 2016
VIVA LA SYSTEM 96!
Dear System 96 customers,
While we all gather our wits about us after Spectrum’s stunning announcement of their closure plans, Uroboros would like to reassure all System 96 customers that we will carry on with the line.
Uroboros Glass is a founding partner of System 96. We assisted Spectrum as they learned how to produce tested compatible glass with their system. We have produced a large percentage of System 96 colors and styles since the beginning. Here is an outline of our view of a future without Spectrum Glass.
What Uroboros can do:
Now and near term
* Continue the ‘distributor and retailer first’ distribution policies for which System 96 is known.
* Uroboros has the available capacity to take on significantly more System 96 production than it currently does, and will be able to ramp up quickly once newly required emission controls are in place and certified later this year.
* Return prices to near historical normal levels for Uroboros sheet products after emission control equipment is in place and all costs are known.
* Uroboros has the technical skills to reproduce many of Spectrum’s colors in System 96, and is prepared to do so as Spectrum inventories run out. This will ensure continued availability of sheet colors previously made by Spectrum, as well as the frit, stringer, noodle, and rods made from those colors.
* Make hand mixed streakies in color combinations familiar to Spectrum customers.
* Make thicknesses up to 5mm, and 6mm is possible with some practice.
* Make larger format hand cast sheets up to 26” wide and 33” long.
* Make sheets up to 30” x 48” with relatively modest equipment modifications.
* Continue to make incremental improvements in sheet smoothness as we have in the last couple of years.
* Continue to add new and innovative hand rolled sheet styles to the System 96 product line.
What Uroboros cannot do: (sorry, folks!)
* Make very smooth or low bubble count sheets as Spectrum could with their machine rolled process.
* Make specific Spectrum styles such as Spirit, Opal Art, and Baroque.
* Match Spectrum prices.
* Match Spectrum’s very uniform wispy style.
While the possibility of a glass art world without Spectrum looms over all our heads, Uroboros would like to remind everyone that there was a vibrant fusing world for at least 15 years before Spectrum joined the game. We are committed to doing all we can to ensure there will continue to be a growing and thriving one in the years ahead.
"Thank you for continuing to keep the glass arts alive and thriving!"
- Taylor Materio
McMow Art Glass, Inc
Copyright © 2016 Uroboros Glass, All rights reserved.
You are receiving this email because you opted in at our website.
Our mailing address is:
2139 N Kerby Ave
Portland, OR 97227
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the PA-NJ