[PA-NJ Glassblowers] Glass marvels mesmerize in Morristown NJ Museum

Tony Patti gaffer at glassblower.info
Sat Oct 17 18:43:36 EDT 2015

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/life/2015/10/15/glass-marvels-mesmerize-mor
ristown-museum/73996600/

CLEARLY COMPELLING: GLASS ART FROM TIFFANY TO CHIHULY

Morris Museum

"Art - Science - History - Theatre"

6 Normandy Heights Rd

Morristown, NJ 07960

www.morrismuseum.org <http://www.morrismuseum.org/>  or
www.morrismuseum.org/current-exhibitions

Glass marvels mesmerize in Morristown Museum

RALPH J. BELLANTONI, CORRESPONDENT

Clearly Compelling (3)

An expanse of treasures glisten and dazzle in the Morris Museum's rich
overview of glass art from the past 100 years and beyond. "Clearly
Compelling" surveys the development of glass as a fine art medium through
more than 60 objects ranging from late 19th century Art Nouveau into and
beyond the American Studio Glass Movement of the 1960s, up to contemporary
masters.

The display comprises works from the museum's own holdings supplemented by
loans from artists, collectors, and the Wheaton Arts and Cultural Center.
The inclusion of examples of ancient Roman glass establishes an historical
context.

"Visitors will discover how contemporary artists have expanded far beyond
traditional glass blowing to embrace new techniques," said museum director
and exhibition curator, Linda Moore. "This includes sand-carved glass,
polished and laminated glass, extruded, fused, and slumped glass, flamework,
and the use of optical glass, stone, metal and other materials."

Artist statements elucidate influences, inspirations, and the evolution of
simple forms into constructions of narrative sophistication. The museum
recruited the expertise of Jim Schantz of Schantz Galleries in Stockbridge,
Massachusetts, which specializes in contemporary glass art.

"It's great to see another significant exhibition featuring glass as an art
form in northern New Jersey," Schantz said. "This show certainly continues
to bring light to the medium."

Highlights abound, including a piece created in the Czech Republic by Marvin
Lipofsky, an early proponent of the studio glass movement. An intricate,
geometric glass construction by renowned Scottish artist and designer Eric
Hilton demonstrates his mastery of "cold-working" processes.

"This includes cutting, polishing and sandblasting the material to realize
the final form," Schantz said. "A piece like 'Out of Darkness' can take a
hundred hours to finish."

Hilton once served as chief designer for Steuben Glass, and designed
large-scale door panels for Rockefeller Center in New York City. He molds,
etches, cuts, sands and polishes his material in painterly fashion, invoking
the primal elements of life and matter.

"Art for me is a vehicle that synthesizes order into the awe of existence,"
Hilton said. "I'm influenced by nature, from which infinite information can
be gleaned."

Stephen Rolfe Powell molds sumptuously colored glass vessels of imposing
stature from his base at Centre College in rural Kentucky. He mastered
sophisticated glassworking techniques under the apprenticeship of maestro
Lino Tagliapietra, whose work also appears in the show.

"Powell's piece in the exhibit is produced using a Venetian Glass technique
called 'incalmo,' which is essentially joining two blown pieces together
while hot," said Schantz. "This is most difficult to achieve, as it has to
be perfectly and precisely executed."

A primordial allure hooked Powell on glassblowing.

"I was drawn to the process by its immediacy and intensity," said Powell. "I
have a love of fire - I've always been something of a pyromaniac."

Powell adorns his marvels of form and color with intricate textural surface
treatments composed from thousands of colored beads.

"Museums and galleries may not like it, but I encourage viewers to touch my
pieces," he said. "I must admit that I take a certain delight in catching a
viewer fondling a piece of mine."

The exquisite beauty and astronomical value of Powell's finished pieces
represent the final destination of a journey he prizes far more than the
product.

"Working with my crew, undistracted by anything, totally focused on the hot
mass of molten glass on the end of the pipe, mesmerized by the pattern of
murrine--this is what I want," he said. "Time stands still."

CLEARLY COMPELLING: GLASS ART FROM TIFFANY TO CHIHULY

WHEN: 11 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesdays to Saturdays; noon to 5 p.m. Sundays,
through Dec. 6

WHERE: The Morris Museum,

6 Normandy Heights Road, Morristown

TICKETS: $10, $7 for children, students and seniors

INFO: Call 973-971-3700 or visit  <http://www.morrismuseum.org>
www.morrismuseum.org

Enjoy,

Tony Patti